Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gionta Confirmed As Captain

Francois Gagnon can breathe easy, his credibility is intact. Today the Canadiens named Brian Gionta their 28th captain in franchise history.

Reads of Lions in Winter aren't alone in their good sense. But it's nice to know that as a group we stumbled upon the same choice. If only we could say the same for all organizational decisions. We can't pat ourselves on the back too long though, Hal Gill, he of 0 votes from LIW readers, gets the second 'A' after Markov.

Back in August, I said the Gionta choice was adequate:
In my personal opinion, I think you've chosen adequately. Gionta will be a good captain for now. I just don't think it's a long-term solution. It's more Shayne Corson than Saku Koivu if you get my drift.

The reason I say this is because of all the contracts on the Habs, Gionta's stands out. It is as once the an overpay, but also the most moveable of the overpays given that Gionta has demonstrated veteran leadership and quick hands. As such, I'm not sure Gionta is more than a transition captain. That transition might very well be a more than worthwhile 3 years, however.
I stand by that. While Gionta was always in consideration, I still think his contract might make him a target as he tries to put up numbers that match the salary (something which he didn't always do in NJ). That doesn't mean I think he's wrong. Just that there were other right choices around.

In any case, I think this is a great day for the Canadiens. For a franchise like the Habs to waffle for so long over this decision and to go captainless for a year was disappointing. Putting a captain in place feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment